At July’s Celebrity Chef and Wine Tasting Event, Chef Dave Taylor of La Poste Eatery treated guests to delicious Citrus Honey Crab Cakes, which were paired with a lovely Domaine A&P Villaine Bouzeron Aligote courtesy of City Cellars. Here’s the recipe used:
1 lb. Crab Meat (backfin or super lump)
Zest of 1 each: lemon, lime, and orange
Juice of half each: lemon, lime, and orange
1 Minced Shallot
2 Tbsp. Fine Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
2 tsp. Colonel De’s New Bay Seasoning (available at Findlay Market,
substitute Old Bay seasoning if necessary)
½ tsp. Ground Dried Thyme
Pinch Ground Cayenne
¼ Cup Mayonnaise
2 Heaping Tbsp. Honey
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Whole Egg
1-box Panko breadcrumbs (available at most grocers in the international
Extra virgin olive oil
- Drain as much liquid as possible from the crabmeat.
- Combine all ingredients, except the egg, in a large mixing bowl. Reserve the un-juiced citrus halves for later.
- Use your hands to gently flake apart the crabmeat while mixing the ingredients.
- Taste the mixture for appropriate seasoning.
- Add 1 egg and combine.
- Divide the mix into 6 equal parts and form into rounds. Coat each cake with panko crumbs.
- Sear each side of the cake in a sauté pan with extra virgin olive oil, until golden brown. Place the cakes on a tray in a 350-degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until hot throughout.
Serve atop bitter greens such as baby arugula and/or frisée. Use the remaining halves of citrus fruit, combined with extra virgin olive oil, to squeeze over the greens for a light fresh salad dressing. Enjoy with a glass of Domaine A&P Villaine Bouzeron Aligote and relax!
Photos courtesy of Matt Anthony. Thanks, Matt!